Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Not a few words about this blog


So how did this idea of a blog dedicated to new runners come about?

The suggestion first came from an acquaintance who has started running and found reading posts in my defunct Friendster blog quite helpful. She said she wished there were more posts that would give tips and other information for beginners. 

I thought it was a pretty good idea, but then, I didn't have enough time to really work on it. Not until now anyway, after several more friends have asked me about how to get into running.

After a recent wall post on Facebook, a friend asked me how i started running. I got out of bed, put on my sneakers, and ran 2 kilometers in 20 minutes was my straightforward answer. I felt like doing it and did it. That was how it was for me.

Back then I didn't have a single copy of Runners' World to provide me first timer tips. I didn't have a single book on running. And there was no Internet which I can surf for valuable information that would guide me in my chosen undertaking.

I was on my own with only my desire to run to drive me and keep me motivated, and my body to tell me when to go, when to keep  going, and when to stop. 

But enough of that. This is not supposed to be about me. Rather this is supposed to be about running for those who would like to finally get up, lace up their running shoes, go out that door and run.

Most of the posts here will be lifted from materials that are already out there. The purpose is primarily to be able to give new runners access to these materials - and then some - through a single site. 

I do not profess to be a coach or an expert trainer. Rather, I am just another runner who would like to share what I can to those who would like to do what I best love doing - running. 

In ending this maiden post, here is a quote from Bill Rodgers, former American record holder in the marathon who is best known for winning the Boston Marathon and the New York City Rodgers four times each between 1975 and 1980, twice breaking the American record at Boston.

Anybody can be a runner... We were meant to move. We were meant to run. It's the easiest sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment